Officers of the Pomeranian National Tax Administration (KAS) detected the smuggling of drugs and psychotropic drugs in a container that arrived on a ship at the port of Gdansk. The cartons of clothing contained nearly 400 kg of hashish and 11,000 packages of psychoactive pills. The value of the seized goods is more than 34 million PLN.
– This is the largest disclosure this year not only in Pomerania, but also in Poland,” an operations officer of the Pomeranian Customs and Fiscal Office in Gdynia said.
He noted that the smuggling was detected in early March this year during routine operations at the Baltic Hub container terminal in Gdansk.
– Officers in the course of their daily tasks, using modern mobile X-ray scanners, scan selected sectors in the seaport and containerized shipments, analyzing the images and typing them for inspection, he said.
According to shipping documents, the containers were to contain clothing. The consignee was a company from Poland.
Instead, the officer reported, the cartons contained nearly 400 kg of compressed hashish cubes and 11,000 packages of psychoactive pills. This was confirmed by the results of samples tested at the laboratory of the Pomeranian Customs and Excise Office in Gdynia.
The operations officer estimated that the black market value of the seized goods is more than PLN 34 million.
– The results of our service – despite the fact that we have been operating for only six years – are impressive,” stressed Deputy Director of the Tax Administration Chamber in Gdansk, young inspector Marcin Golaszewski. – Thanks to the commitment of the officers, we can say that people in Poland live more safely,” he said.
He added that in the previous year only in the area of Pomorskie voivodeship, officers detected a total of more than 80 million cigarettes without Polish excise tax and more than a ton of narcotics.
– These are huge amounts that will not go to dealers,” Golaszewski noted.
The deputy director of the Tax Administration Chamber in Gdansk stressed that most of the so-called detections are related to container traffic.
– We have in Gdansk the largest container terminal in the Baltic, with nearly 2 million containers arriving annually. In this mass there is also smuggling,” Golaszewski assessed.
The case of the smuggling seized in early March is being conducted by the Pomeranian Customs and Fiscal Office in Gdynia under the supervision of the District Prosecutor’s Office in Gdansk.