On Wednesday, November 6th, the ro-pax ferry Barbara Krahulik entered Remontowa Shiprepair Yard SA in Gdansk. The repairs and modifications that are to be carried out are related to the change of ownership.
The ferry, previously operated by Tirrenia di Navigazione SpA (Onorato Armatori S.r.l. group) from Italy, will now be managed by the ferry operator TT-Line GmbH & Co KG. The vessel is owned by Aug. Bolten Wm. Miller’s Nachfolger (GmbH & Co.) KG (by the way, the bulk carrier), of which TT-Line is a subsidiary (‘subsidiary’).
The purchase of the ferry by the German shipowner (signing of the contract) took place already in July this year. However, the formal transfer of the ship to the new owner and its takeover by the new operator, including the re-registration and change of flag, will most probably take place today, in the shipyard Remontowa SA.
The ferry arrived in Gdańsk with the basic crew of the incumbent operator and a partial TT-Line familiarizing itself with the ferry and taking it over.
Barbara Krahulik will of course be renamed. The new name, which hasn’t been yet revealed by the new shipowner, has been already displayed on the ship’s AIS transponder, as Marco Polo and is visible on marine traffic systems worldwide. The new name breaks with the traditional, fairytale key, known from the name of the ferries TT-Line.
The ferry will not only undergo renovation and change of shipowner’s colors, but also a small reconstruction. An exhaust gas cleaning system (scrubber) will be installed on the ship. The ferry’s passenger rooms are also to be modified.
The ship, formerly named after Barbara Krahulik (IMO No. 9019080), is now (before the planned conversion) characterized by a gross tonnage of 14 398 and a carrying capacity of 7330 tons. The ferry, with a total length of 150.38 m, a construction width of 23.40 m, a draught of 6.015 m, a side height of 13.40 m and a displacement of 12,960 t, currently houses (before reconstruction) 25 cabins with 74 seats, 50 seats in cabins for drivers and 17 crew members; it can carry 141 trailers (road semi-trailers) at one time thanks to a 1820 m long ro-ro cargo lane. The vessel has an aft apron ramp with dimensions of 6.80 × 15.50 m and DOR 100 t.
Two-screw main drive (with two Polish engines – Zgoda-Sulzer 8ZAL40S) with maximum power (MCR) 18 000 kW (24 472 hp) and continuous 11 520 kW (15 662 hp) provides operating speed 19.00 knots. The ferry is equipped with a bow thruster with 750 kW (1020 hp) power.
The new acquisition of TT-Line was built as Via Ionio in 1993 at the shipyard van der Giessen-de Noord BV in Krimpen a/d IJssel (with a partially equipped hull supplied by Tille Scheepsbouw B.V.). (Frisian Shipyard) from Harlingen).
The hull shape of the ferry Barbara Krahulik is no stranger in Poland – the twin ships are Copernicus and Galileo, operated in Unity Line colours (they belong to the “Viamare” series from Dutch and Italian shipyards).